Copyright

All work on this site is copyrighted and may not be reproduced without permission of the artist.

09 February 2009

Stem Cell Study


Oil on Canvas 5x7

So after painting the Delicata squash and tomato, I put them in the refrigerator to retard further spoilage, with the plan to reposition them and do another painting the next day. Hang in here, this is a funny story. Denny called me to dinner and what do I see coming out of the oven but my beautiful Delicata squash. Death by baking. The tomato was safe. He doesn't eat tomatoes. I started laughing even as I mourned the loss of my model, but then started scrambling through the trash for the STEM. There it was, clean but broken. "Oh no, my beautiful stem!" Denny was a tiny bit puzzled by my disappointment. "Can't you just make it up?" Well, I guess he has a point. I can paint whatever I like into a painting. But there is something about doing these still lifes and trying to really see what's there that precludes additions.
So, I grabbed a butternut squash and taped the stem together and glued it on.
And now I have learned that butternuts are not much fun to paint compared to delicata. As a matter of fact, it was really hard. I went through green shadow, umber shadow, blue shadow. None were right. I finally decided that to balance the red tomato a bit of red needed to go into the shadow which turned it purple. Then I added some of my new cad yellow deep to the lit body of the squash. Straying from my usual approach I found the shadow color first and the lit color second.

thanks for looking!

No comments: